A much loved creation from my cooking class this week and ideal for the new term. Delicious hot, these burgers also make a great portable, protein rich meal for office lunch breaks and children’s lunch boxes.
I like using black beans or butterbeans, plenty of toasted seeds and nuts and fresh rosemary. The recipe uses omega rich flax and calls for baking, but you can also fry if you prefer.
Back To School Beany Burgers
- Half onion diced
- 1 clove garlic finely cut
- 2 tblsp flax and ½ cup warm water
- 1 cup oats ground into flour
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 cup cooked beans, then mashed – use black beans, butterbeans or chickpeas
- Handful fresh herbs finely chopped – rosemary is lovely!
- 5 tblsp ground nuts/ seeds I like using toasted almonds and toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 tblsp tamari
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
Saute onions and garlic. Mix flax with water and leave while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add salt to taste.
With wet hands form the mixture into patties. Place on a prepared baking sheet, and bake in the oven at 180C for 15 minutes on each side, until crisp.